Monthly Archives: January 2015

Idea for another Diecast Model

I really enjoyed modelling the last Diecast model of the Dinky Fire Engine and I think I will do another later on.

So I have been looking for some idea and this is what I have found that interests me at the moment. The reason is simple my grandson loves tractors and fire engines, so as I have already done the engine I think I will be doing a tractor next.

This is a place holder piece for any reference I find, most of the images are online and assumed to be in the public domain therefore mine; no breach of © intended so if you can prove they are yours and you want them removed contact me and I will be happy to do so.

 

PBR Texture Conversion

Here is a nice article on PBR workflow and in particular the conversion of non PBR assets, from Marmoset:

Tutorial: PBR Texture Conversion
By Joe “EarthQuake” Wilson

In this tutorial, I’m going to demonstrate how content created for traditional shaders can be converted to PBR shaders, how to convert content from one PBR workflow to another, and explain the various differences in modern workflows.

Substance Designer Curvature Node Connection Problem

Update:

I received an answer from Allegorithmic which explains what I was doing wrong and how to connect the nodes normally.

Thanks for reporting this issue. The connection problem happens because of the material modes (standard and compact). If you hit the 1 key to place the graph in standard mode, you can make the connection.

I seem to have come across a bug in Substance Designer’s Curvature Node, which I have reported to Allegorithmic so it may be resolved by the time you read this.

I am unable to connect a Normal Combine (or levels see video) Node to a Curvature Node manually.

I have found a work around that seems to work and I show it in the video below, basically you add the node automatically by selecting the output node node first and adding a levels, which can later be deleted and reattach, a little long winded but it works.

As I mentioned I have reported the bug but until it gets resolved this solution will allow you to carry on regardless.

 

Dinky Fire Engine 555

Discovering Substance Painter part 1

The last months I have been working through the tools on Allegorithmic’s Substance Painter and Substance Designer and how to use it in conjunction with Blender 3D

So far the main conclusion I have come to is it works and works pretty well, there are a couple of caveats though, these I will go into perhaps in a later post. The main thing though I will mention here is to ensure you export the model in either OBJ or preferably FBX (the reason for this is OBJ doesn’t update in Substance Designer automatically). The settings for the FBX export are fairly straightforward and I came to them with a little trial and error.
Continue reading Discovering Substance Painter part 1